Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Tribute to Titanic and the Oscars


I love Oscar night. My family has always been huge movie-goers because my dad has worked in the industry for years, and we make it a point to see every nominated movie we can before the ceremony. We each fill out a copy of the Oscar Ballot before the show and compare who predicted the most wins throughout the night.

When we lived in California we used to share this tradition with another family (the Welsh's, aka my best friend Cory) and we would all gather around the TV and gaze at the good looking celebrities in their fancy gowns on the bold red carpet. Cory and I used to fight over who would get to marry Leonardo DiCaprio because he made our hearts melt after "Titanic."

1998 was the first time I remember loving the awards and it was because of Titanic. I saw that movie 7 times in theaters, including two times in one day and once on Christmas eve. Needless to say, the movie's amazing-ness allowed it to win 11 Academy Awards that year, including the prestigious best picture award.


In my opinion, no film has topped it since (not even James Cameron's new film Avatar. I'm sorry but, it can't). It touched my heart and convinced me that epic love stories do exist. I was only 8 at the time but I'll never forget the obsession I had with everything about it (I had 3 Titanic posters and 6 books on Leo for God's sake!) and the way it made my 8 year old heart feel.

So here's to Oscar night again with 2 of my favorite actors/comedians hosting and some great movies being nominated. Tonight I'll be rooting for Up, A Single Man, and Inglorious Basterds.

No comments: