Thursday, April 21, 2011

John Denver

Tonight John Denver was inducted into the Colorado Music Hall of Fame [as their first member] and I got to go watch it happen! Let me explain...

My aunt Glenna and her friend Jill had to pass on these glorious tickets because the show was in Colorado and they both live in California and ended up not being able to make it. Luckily, they offered them up to my mom and I. There was a bunch of awesome people there all singing John Denver's best songs and well, let's just say I may or may not have *almost* ended up in tears several times.

I grew up listening to John Denver, long before I even moved to Colorado. Something about his music has always touched my heart and half of his songs make me tear up for no reason while the other half make me want to jump around and belt out louder than I ever have before. Bottom line is, I'm sad I was never able to see him perform live because that would have been such a dream come true. I've always said, if I ever had the chance to record again I would make an album of all John Denver covers. My parent's even had "Annie's Song" as their wedding song so he's pretty much part of the family by now (figuratively, of course). I could go on and on about my love for him but that could probably fill up another 7 pages...

[had to get a cheesy screen shot]

They chose this night to induct him because it's the eve of "Earth Day" and JD was so passionate about the earth (if that wasn't blatantly obvious in ALL of his songs). Hearing people talk about his love of nature and all the wonders of the world was so inspiring to me. He found beauty in everything. And on top of all the John Denvery goodness of the night, the whole event was hosted by Olivia Newton John (you know, Grease?) and THAT was really awesome. She's just as adorable now and in person as she was back then on the big screen.

[Olivia Newton John and John Oates]

There were some other really cool appearances too. John Oates (^^) from "Hall & Oates" (who lives in Aspen, by the way) was there, Lee Ann Womack was there (with her voice of an angel), and Annie Denver, John's wife (as in "Annie's Song") came on stage in tears. It was just one of those moments you never thought you'd be experiencing with so many different, random people. But that's what made the night so cool.

You have to love John Denver. His music is just so ridiculously epic and inspiring. Having a random experience to celebrate his life and work is the closest I'll ever get to seeing him live and I won't soon forget it. He makes me appreciate Colorado and being able to live and go to school in such a beautiful place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chelsea... It's always fun to find 'young people' who enjoy John's music and message! Since you live in the area - I hope you can join John Denver's Windstar Foundation on Saturday, April 23 at Red Rocks Amphitheater to celebrate Earth Day - from 10 til 4 on the pavillion above the seating area! There will be music all day (John Denver's of course) and displays from lots of environmental groups - even a wolf will be there to meet you! Check out www.windstarcoloradoconnection.org for more information! Shari at Windstar

Unknown said...

Wow, thank you so much for reading this post and for inviting me to Red Rocks on Saturday! That sounds like it will be such a fun and inspiring event. I'll definitely try to be there with my mom again! Were you able to make it to the induction last night?