Sunday, August 24, 2014

'Till there was you.

My Grandma Betty was one of the sassiest and most unapologetically honest ladies I’ve ever known, and growing up I never saw her without her "stink-eye of disbelief" and her trademark necklace on that read, “Oh Shit.” She didn't sugar coat a damn thing.

Growing up, she never missed a beat. She was there for everything. School plays, dive meets, birthday parties, graduations, you name it. That's what happens when you're lucky enough to grow up right down the street from your grandparents. They're always around. Even after moving to Colorado, they still made appearances for all the A-list things.

My Grandma Betty was a singer by nature - a talent which she passed down to the rest of our family. Her signature song was "'Till There Was You" from The Music Man, which she traditionally sang for her closest friends and family members on their wedding days. 10 years ago I had the enormous honor of singing it for her and my grandpa at their 50th wedding anniversary, a moment so special to me that I'll never forget as long as I live. In turn, on my 16th birthday she handed me a tape that she recorded of herself singing that song so that I can play it at my own wedding someday.

When I visited her for the last time a couple weeks ago, we brought her donuts from our favorite little donut shop in Newbury Park. I couldn't help but giggle when I looked up and saw she had chocolate all over her face that she didn't realize was there. Thinking about all the times she was there for me throughout my 25 years of life, I grabbed a napkin and gave her a hand while she laughed and said, "screw the golden years!" - a sassy line I've heard her say many, many times.

I knew this could possibly be my last time with her, so deep down I was searching for something profound. I wanted her to leave me with some wisdom or advice to carry with me as I continue on in her legacy. Her parting words to me were, “You turned out to be a really nice girl, Chelsea. And you’re not going to be alone forever.” Unbeatable as far as last words go. As tears welled up in my eyes, I knew that was exactly what I needed to hear from her. I'll treasure it forever.

I know with certainty that my grandpa has been waiting for his darling of 50+ years to be reunited with him at last. It's comforting to know where she's headed now; she's not alone and she's ready for whatever comes next. Together they taught me that two people can live together, raise a family together, enjoy each other, and grow old by each other's sides. I hope to follow in their footsteps one day.

I love you, Grandma. Thank you for teaching me sass, putting music in my heart, and being there for my whole life. One last time in your honor...

1 comment:

Cory said...

This brought tears to my eyes. Rest in peace, Grandma Betty.