Friday, July 3, 2009

My Sister's Keeper

I read "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult in 24 hours at the beginning of this summer. I had been wanting to read it for a while because from the first page it was intriguing. Such an interesting and unique topic, I wondered, how does someone have the creative capacity to come up with such a controversial topic?

The book lived up to it's expectations. Twists and turns and surprises and I never lost interest once. I was so excited when I heard they were making it into a movie, I could hardly wait till it came out.

I saw the movie tonight with my mother who has also read the book, twice. It started off a lot like the book. Same story line, same format, almost the same dialogue even. We both found ourselves crying like babies because we knew what was going to happen, and plus the topic is so sad how can you NOT cry?

***If you haven't read the book/seen the movie, there may be spoilers below***

At the exact same moment, my mother and I both stopped dead in our tears, in shock. They changed the entire ending of the book. Not only did the story change in it's entirety, it sent a completely different message. It no longer captured the theme of the book, the meaning of life vs death (I guess in a way it did, but in a completely DIFFERENT way) and the meaning and profoundness of family relationships.

It was one of the most amazing books I have ever read and I am so sad and disappointed to say that the movie did not even come CLOSE to doing it justice. Fellow readers of the book will probably agree with me, because the ending of the book WAS the story. The ending of the book was EVERYTHING. The ending of the book is the only reason for reading and loving it.

If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. It truly is a great read. If you have seen the movie and not read the book yet, I still would suggest reading it because you will like it 10 times more than the movie.

No comments: