Saturday, July 4, 2009

4th of July


Especially in the last 8 years, I haven't felt very patriotic on the 4th of July. I've pretty much always seen it as a day where people get together for BBQ's and drink and light fireworks off for no apparent reason.

Last year, I actually was staring at some fireworks, kinda mesmerized by them. It's special because it's an experience you only get once a year. It's not something you see or do everyday, and I really love taking that in. Everyone in this country is doing the same thing at the same time, basically coming together (for whatever purpose, whether it be for the country or not) and that is a beautiful thing. It's very rare that people join together in celebration, and whether you are patriotic or not, this coming together for one night in celebration is a truly special and beautiful thing.

I have had 2 Grandfathers fight for this country's honor, and if there is one thing I can count on, it's that my dad will ALWAYS recognize that and hang his fathers American Flag outside our home.

I'm disappointed that it happens to be pouring rain in Parker, Colorado right now, but I hope it stops in time for the festivities to begin.

I am so proud of this country this year. Some people may disagree with me, but I think we are heading in such a better direction than we have been, and for me, that's what I'll be celebrating this year. Overcoming obstacles and looking forward to reaching the potential this country has.

We are lucky enough to have a country worth celebrating, and to have something to celebrate once a year. So, whatever you choose to celebrate this 4th of July, freedom, liberty, beer? at least we can acknowledge the coming together of people everywhere and THAT is what makes this country amazing.

We don't all have to be celebrating the same thing, but we sure as hell are all celebrating.

No comments: