Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Internship Update: Week 2

Things are starting to pick up at my internship because for the next couple weeks we have a BUNCH of stuff to do for the events. UFC 130 is next weekend, TUF 13 (The Ultimate Fighter reality show season 13 finale) is the following weekend, and then UFC 131 is not too long after that. So I'm getting to help out a lot with preparing for everything which consists of making schedules, putting together press credentials and media packets, and doing "walk-throughs" of the arena, ballrooms, and studios for all of the press conferences, interviews, open work outs, and main events for each fight week. It's pretty busy but it's really exciting.

I like it when I have a lot to do because I feel like I'm learning so much. I love that this internship is so hands on and I'm not just following someone around an office all day watching them do work while I sit back and do nothing. I have actual work to do that contributes to making the events run smoothly which makes me feel like part of the team. I'm learning a lot about Public Relations - tons of things I didn't know went on within the department. I really feel like this is the best possible experience for me to be getting before I graduate in order to pursue it as a career so I feel very lucky to be here.

Today I had a slightly frightening experience driving from the office to the MGM Grand hotel on the strip. For those of you who don't know, I'm TERRIBLE with directions. I'm horrible at following them, I can't see far enough away to read street signs, I get lost all the time but mostly I get really frustrated when I don't know where I'm going. Add all that to being in a city you don't know your way around and you have one car-sick Chelsea following someone from work who's cutting through gas stations and side streets and attempting to maneuver through construction and having a panic attack while driving. It was quite the experience. But high-intensity situations like that are only going to make me better and more able to handle anything that's thrown my way so I'm trying to think of it as a good thing.


I've been trying to take pictures whenever I get the chance, but opportunities are limited. However, I sneakily took this while driving on the strip today (post-panic mode). I'm sure you all have seen it before, but I still think it's cool to say "Look! I'm here!"

1 comment:

Hannah said...

hahaha oh my gosh I am the exact same way! Even if I print off directions I am constantly second guessing myself! Your situation sounds a little scarier than driving to park meadows though (i'm pathetic haha). i love hearing about your internship ahh :) so happy!!