Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Farewell Note to 2009

As I begin my farewell note to 2009, I would like to recap some of the monumental events that occurred in my life.

January 1st, 2009: Grandpa John has a stroke and we fly to California.
January 5th, 2009: Grandpa John passes away.
January 10th, 2009: Dad moves to Vegas.

April 18th, 2009: Great Aunt Marie passes away.
April 30th, 2009: Got my acceptance letter to the University of Colorado.

May 30th, 2009: I fell in love with 2 five year old boys at my summer job as a nanny.

July 21st, 2009: I entered my roaring 20's.
July 23rd, 2009: Orientation at my new school.

August 4th, 2009: First tattoo on my hip.
August 20th, 2009: Moved into my apartment in Boulder.
August 24th, 2009: First day as a Buff!
August 25th, 2009: Brianna Swain passes away.

September 14th, 2009: Cousin Sara gets married in NY!

October 15th, 2009: Family Friend, Lillian passes away.

December 29th, 2009: Brother gets awarded a $9,000 scholarship to Seattle University!
December 31st, 2009: Here we are. Last day of the year.

As you can see, it's been a pretty rough year. A lot of heartache and challenges literally from day 1. I want to leave this year behind and start fresh tomorrow, but I will never ever forget what this year has taught me:

-Change is inevitable, and sometimes it's exactly what we need.
-Life is incredibly short, and not one day should be taken for granted.
-People matter more to you than you might think.
-Every challenge in life should be met with hope and the willingness to work hard to overcome.
-Coldplay can get you through anything (I mean, ANYTHING).
-Pictures are a must. You might never get the opportunity to take another one together.
-True friends will stand by you no matter how far away or what is happening.
-Family is the most important thing to keep close to you.
-True love never dies. Even 50 years down the road.

I didn't think I could make it through this year with everything that happened. I couldnt have made it through without my Dad, Mom, Connor, Ryan, Jill, and a handful of others who's unconditional support and love are the reason I am still standing. But with the bad also came the few good things that brought light. Life is funny, and bittersweet.

My new years resolutions:

-Lose 15 pounds. Be happy with myself.
-Stay positive through the rough spots.
-Make the efforts to keep in touch.
-Do one thing every day for me.

Starting not only a new year, but an entirely new decade. Imagine the possibilities that could happen in the next 10 years. I want to look back in 2020 and be happily surprised.

Cheers to 2010! Let's make this the best year yet.

No comments: